Cakes & Bakes
Blueberry and White Chocolate Scones
It’s been a while….4 months in fact! And what a warm and familiar feeling it is to be back putting words down to create a post for this, my very own little blog. Lots have people have asked me over the last few months if and when I would write again which has been lovely because although I knew I had a readership, what I did not realise is that people would actually miss me writing and baking. The answer to their question by the way was always a yes…but not sure when. What I did know was that the time had to be right, and that when I did bake and blog again it was something I really wanted to do rather than feel I had to do it. I never wanted this blog to be something extra on my to do list…that is long enough! It was always to be a joy. And a joy it has always been!
So what happened? Where did I go? Well apologies to be somewhat romantic about this, but a new and completely different opportunity came along which has swept me off my feet! And as that started to grow, I found myself with less and less time to bake and blog.
Many of you will know that what I am talking about is my business as a Stylist for Stella and Dot. Little did I know at the time when I first started out with Stella and Dot what an incredible journey I would go on and am still continuing. It’s changed my life so much for the better, and I am writing this now as a woman who is proud to say that I have set up my own business and am starting to see the rewards for all my hard work. With no sales background I am successfully selling the most adorable jewellery via my little ‘pop-up’ shop and online, and I can do this on top of caring for my 3 children which for me is perfect! Along the way I have met soooo many amazing people and made some wonderful new friends. I have also learnt a whole lot about myself and business. And all of this on top of getting myself a pretty impressive jewellery collection and winning a 3 night 5* trip trip Mykonos in Sep! What more could a girl want? More of the same in the future I hope.
So as I found myself with a rare bit of extra time this week, and a yearning to get back into the kitchen it was a real delight to tie my apron around my waist and bake again for pleasure. I picked scones because they are one of my favorite things but they are also quick and easy to make too. In addition, they are a very economical bake coming in at around £4.50 to make, plus they are completely freezer friendly. The white chocolate and blueberry additions were my attempt to put a ‘Homemade by Fleur’ spin on them and to make them a bit different. So when I pulled them out of the oven to see the hot blueberries oozzing the most delicious purple syrup and the white chocolate chucks melting into the middle, I knew these were pretty special. Once cooled, I cut one in half and added clotted cream and blueberry jam, and wozzers….these are delightful. Would love you to try them for yourself too, so here is the recipe.
Blueberry and White Chocolate Scones
What you need:
- 450g of self raising flour
- 2 tsp’s of baking powder
- 75g of softened butter
- 50g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- approx 225ml milk
- 50g fresh blueberries
- 50g white chocolate chunks
How to make:
- Pre-heat oven 220c/gas 7 and line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper
- Add flour and baking power to a bowel, add butter and rub in with your finger tips until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs
- Stir in the sugar
- In a seperate measuring jug add the 2 eggs and add enough milk to make the mixture up to 300ml and whisk together with a fork
- Using the dough hook on a mixer, or your hands pour in the milk and egg mixtue to the dry ingredients until a fairly wet and a little bit sticky dough is formed. Save a little bit of the mixture for topping the scones with
- Take dough out of bowl and place on a lightly floured surface.
- Place chocolate chunks and blueberries on top of the dough and gently mix in. Some of the blueberries will burst but try to be gentle enough so that this is just a few not most of them and then flatten out dough with your hand so it is about 2-3cm thick and cut out your scones with your choice of cutter
- Place on the baking tray not too close together, brush with the egg mixture on top and pop in the oven for 15 mins
Many thanks to the Most Wanted Make Summer Taste Better series for sponsoring this post.