Cakes & Bakes
Strawberry and Cream Eclairs Covered with White Chocolate
Let me tell you about my 4 year old…
My baby girl is going to big school in September. Part of me is relieved because being November born, she is very ready to go. But I just can’t imagine what life in the week is going to be like without her. Currently, I pick her up from pre-school at lunch time every day and whilst my youngest sleeps and my eldest is at school we chat over our peanut butter sandwiches about this and that. After lunch we might bake together or go outside where I’ll push her up into the sky on the garden swing and listen to her squeal. Other times she will go up to her room and amuse herself whilst I get on with the chores.
She is so different from my other two both in personality and looks. She often transports herself into her own little world. This sometimes results in selective hearing, but also a big imagination. In ballet she can point her toe perfectly, and she is fearless in the swimming pool. Every morning she takes great pride in choosing what to wear, which will of course include matching accessories. She is well known for her individual sense of style.
She is charming to talk to and I love the way she calls squirrels ‘scribbles’, the seven dwarfs ‘the Hi Ho’s’ and strawberries ‘juicies’. I love her to bits.
The chocolate eclairs that I made today have been inspired by my daughter. I wanted to bake her something which included ‘juicies’ and as I have a new silicone eclair tray to try it seemed the perfect opportunity to combine both. Strawberries and cream are a match made in heaven (and perfect for Wimbledon which starts tomorrow) so where better to put sliced strawberry than in the middle of the eclair? I used white chocolate on top to make them more child friendly and a little bit different from the normal dark chocolate topping.
For my gorgeous 4 year old daughter I made a special eclair with hearts on to let her know she is my little pal. As she ate it we laughed at the chocolate on her nose. Maybe this could be a treat in her new school lunch box from time to time.
|Strawberry and Cream Eclairs Covered with White Chocolate||
- 100g plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 75g unsalted butter diced
- 175ml water
- 3 eggs beaten
- 300ml double cream whipped
- 100g strawberries
- 75g white chocolate melted
- 50g dark chocolate melted (optional)
- 1.5cm plain icing tip
- 1M Wilton icing tip
- 2 Icing bags
- Baking tray lined with non stick paper
- Put the butter, salt and water in a saucepan and heat gently until the butter has melted
- Take off the heat and add the flour all in one go and then beat quickly with a wooden spoon. It will look lumpy at first but will soon turn into a smooth ball
- Transfer into bowl from electric mixer and leave to cool
- Once cooled start to mix pastry with a paddle attachment and add the eggs bit by bit. You should now have a shiny looking paste which is thick enough to pipe and hold it’s shape. Use as soon as possible
- Turn on the oven to 200c/400f/gas 6
- Spoon choux pastry into an icing bag with the plain icing tip
- Pipe out thickish lines of about 10 cm each
- Cook for 15 mins, and do not open the door at all during that time
- After 15 mins get eclairs out of the oven and pierce each one on the bottom to let out steam
- Place back in the oven for 8 more mins
- Once cooked and cooled, slice onto the middle of each eclair horizontally, but be careful not to slice right through
- Fill the eclairs with sliced strawberries and pipe in the cream using the second icing bag and M1 Wilton tip
- Use a palette knife to spread some white chocolate on top of each eclair
- If you want to decorate further put your melted dark chocolate in a freezer bag, snip the end off and drizzle over the top of all the eclairs